The Wooster Township Fire Department was organized in 1940. The first year our membership totaled nine firefighters. Our first fire engine was purchased for $7,600 (cost of our newest engine was $539,000.) This fire engine was housed for seventeen years at the Wooster City fire station until our new fire station was built.
In 1963, our Department began providing Emergency Medical Services (EMS) at a basic level with a used ambulance that was donated from Pim Funeral Home. In 1969 we purchased our first new ambulance for $10,000 (1969 International Springfield) Our newest ambulance was purchased in 2007 for $102,000and then rechassied in 2017 for $102,000. In 1981 the department initiated an Advanced level of EMS and in 1990 began providing Paramedic services. Our total calls increased from 75 in 1968 to well over 800 in the 2000's. EMS accounts for the majority of our responses.
In 1958 the current Wooster Township fire station was constructed at 1917 Millersburg Road with three apparatus bays, enough room to store the pumper and tanker trucks. The station has had additions in 1962, 1991 and 1993. Currently the station has nine apparatus bays, kitchen, men and women's bunkrooms, classroom and offices at the original site.
In 1940 each firefighter was provided a coat, helmet and boots at a cost of $22.31 per set (current gear cost, $2,500.00 per set).
1979 saw the addition of two full-time Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT's) to staff our station. Presently we employ six full-time Firefighters/Paramedics. These members provide rapid EMS and fire response to emergency calls and are responsible for fire safety inspections, fire prevention programs, equipment maintenance and day-to-day operations.